Friday, January 19, 2007

Trojans and spyware account for 57% of malicious code detected in 2006

Posted on 16.01.2007
PandaLabs reports that Trojans and adware/spyware accounted for more than half of the malicious code detected in 2006 by Panda ActiveScan.

The Internet has opened the door to creators of malicious code looking to profit from fraud and identity theft and Trojans and spyware are their favoured weapons, as they can be easily concealed on users’ computers.

Adware and spyware, responsible for nearly 40 percent of detections in total, topped the 2006 ranking. Both types of malware are advertising-related, as they collect private data from infected users, including information on websites viewed or online stores used. The data is then used to tailor advertising to users’ preferences. This activity is of dubious legality, since it is carried out without the user’s consent.

Trojans were the culprits in 17 percent of detections by Panda ActiveScan in 2006, rising nearly 10 points in the last quarter in comparison to the previous quarter. This particularly dangerous type of malware can operate while remaining undetected on infected systems. Presently, its main purpose is the theft of passwords used for financial operations, in order to gain unauthorized access to users’ bank accounts.

Other malware detected by Panda ActiveScan in 2006 included dialers, responsible for 7.5 percent of detections, followed by backdoor Trojans (5.6%), and bots and worms, both at 3.8 percent. None of these figures varied significantly during 2006.

Source: http://www.pandasoftware.com/

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is all this I see on message boards and IRC chat about an upcoming attack on your websites and servers in a attempt to close you down?

pcbutts1 said...

Those are people who don't like me. That shows just how bad these trolls are that they will attack my hosting company. Where did you see those comments?

Anonymous said...

I am not really comfortable disclosing what IRC channel I saw the discussion on. I have a small site and if those people get upset with me, I could be the object of their attack. I can not afford the 50-100 Gig attack I saw them bragging about.

I am sure, by now you have heard from others about this. Everybody seems to be talking about it.

The message board I saw was a link posted on the IRC chat and to tell you the truth, I didn't pay any attention to the URL. I use a VM to surf the net, so those history and temp files are deleted when I closed it.

There were, I think, about 8 or 9 pages on the board with people talking about this though.

What I can say is that I get the impression that these people seem to be upset about the software you made and what it does. To tell you the truth, I don't know what exactly your software does, so what they were saying about it, I didn't understand. But it seemed that they were against all anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

They were talking about something called "GMER DDoS". I assume that is some kind of software like yours, because they said the same thing would happen? I have no idea what that means, or what "GMER DDoS" does.

I am at work right now and cannot use IRC here, but I am sure I can find our more info, if you like.

I just don't think this kind of thing is right. I am sure you have bigger bandwidth than me and from what I see here, you have a great relationship with your hosting company, so they will not dump you like mine would, but I don't think it is right for anyone to go through an attack like that.

Like I said, I am sure that you have already heard about this, or Googled the pages, but if you need more info, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hey i saw that to on that hackers forum.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude,

Somebody is posting crap about all your web address and talking like he is going to hack you. He has a ton of them on the PCButts1 URL and some other that is leythosthestalker.com. I don't know if the last site is yours or they are just planning to fuck somebody else.

pcbutts1 said...

Hey guys thanks for that info. I am familiar with that attack on Gmer. He writes some software that detects rootkits that has become popular. I will do what I can to prevent this and keep you informed. I will probably start a new blog thread. If you have any more info like links to these forums then please let me know. You can email me directly at pcbutts1@pcbutts1.com or pcbutts1@yahoo.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I saw somethin bout that too on irc.gigachat.net (tink the chanel was #H4ck3rsBr or somethin like that)

Anonymous said...

I know some people on the bigger security forums and they are gunning for you man. I have a cousin that is a member of several of those forums and he says they are all planning some big shit in back rooms. They really want to take you down.

Some of them have dual personalities good guy on one site and hacker on another. They are really pissed off and in a lynch mob mood.

pcbutts1 said...

I started a new thread please send all comments there. Thanks